Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Sometimes You Can't Please Everyone

There is nothing like making small children cry in the morning. It is just past 7am and I am sitting in my new favorite spot on the cool cement floor of the balcony. Sarah isn’t up yet to make me move to a mat. She is a sweetheart, and has clearly adopted me in as one of her children. With five biological children, 18 adopted directly in and over 150 more at the school, which she cares for diligently, it is amazing that she could have room in heart for any more. Her love is truly endless.

I have been getting along very well with all the kids at the house and school, yesterday afternoon was my best day here thus far, more on that to come later though…

One very simple thing about me: I love kids! I have been helping take care of children since I was a kid and to this day I cannot think of a single one who didn’t like me. Usually we hit it off instantly, at times it can take a little warming up to, but NEVER can I recall a child who has so adamantly hated me as the Driver’s youngest daughter does.

Hate really is the wrong word though, because that implies that she knows me. The child is TERRIFIED of me. I know I am not supposed to take it personally, as she is scared of all “whities,” but still. She is adorable with her beautiful black hair all up in braids with beads dangling off the ends, all I want is to be friends.

Since arriving at the house she has cried nearly every time she sees me. I thought we were making a small amount of progress yesterday when I was able to walk by her several times without her immediately sobbing. Clearly I was mistaken! Just a few minutes ago she walked in with her father and the waterworks began again.

It has become part of my mission to get this beautiful little girl to like me and act which has not put me above bribery with candy, movies, crayons and colored paper. More than anything though it simply breaks my heart to see her cry, even though everyone else in the house thinks the entire situation is hilarious. Hopefully after 3.5 weeks she will realize that I am not so bad, hopefully!

No comments: