Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Manamah, BAHRAIN - Overview

Yes, I can hear you now. Bahrain? Where is that? I have to admit that on my first whirlwind tour through the Gulf region I also had to look it up on a map. Easily the smallest country in the region, Bahrain is a tiny desert island (don’t get too excited, its not your picturesque white sand beaches and crystal clear waters – sadly) located just off the west coast of Saudi Arabia. Having stopped by once, I headed back for an 8 day stay to spend some time relaxing and with my boyfriend John who is currently stationed there with the US Navy.

In the closest thing to a first world country I had seen in 6 months, I enjoyed going to grocery stores, sinking my feet into lush carpeting and taking real hot showers again. Yes, I am easily pleased!

My time in the Middle East felt more like a dream then reality, but I loved every moment of it! From horseback riding through a dust storm and around the Bahrain fort, to a candlelit rooftop dinner it was amazing. Yes, I was spoiled.

Leaving was hard, but I knew that I needed to get back to work!

No comments: