Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2009

Nairobi, KENYA - Overview

I had originally only planned to visit the capital of Kenya once, on my way out of the nation. However, the fickleness of the Indian High Commission provided me with 3 unique opportunities to discover the bustling and slightly overwhelming city. It also gave me a severe test in patience and endurance as I made five 9 hour bus rides on potholed filled ‘roads’ in the dead of night. Each of my trips to the capital was unique and filled with unexpected blessings. Due only to the circumstances surrounding my visits and the vastness of the city, I was not a fan of Nairobi. However, my final journey and weekend adventures redeemed the city.
Visiting my Kenyan classmate from my school program in Uganda/Rwanda, I was overjoyed to be reconnecting with a dear friend.

My final days in the city were jam packed with events and Mbish wasted no time in showing me around and introducing me to more new friends – love it! I think the highlight of my weekend there was being welcomed into yet another wonderful family and our excursion to the Safari Walk. Located in the town of Nairobi, this forested escape of wilderness was most unexpected and reminded me of the Rain Forest CafĂ© in Seattle and our earlier Safari trip in Eastern Uganda. Walking around an African zoo in Africa (go figure!) we managed to see every animal but the lions. Hearing this, a park guide came to our rescue and decided to take us on a different kind of tour around the back of the lion area, between the chain link and high voltage electrical fence to where two of the lions were enjoying an uninterrupted afternoon nap in the sun. It was unbelievable – sometimes it pays being a blonde haired white girl in Africa!

Biding farewell to my friend once again and leaving another country I had grown to love was a challenge as always, but I was excited for the next wave of adventures.

No comments: