Pages

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Webuye, KENYA - Overview

Webuye, KENYA: During the 10 hour bus ride from Uganda to Kenya I hit my first real moment of fear at the prospect of traveling to a country where I knew no one, had no real plan and was going to a town I couldn’t even locate on a map.

This time overseas has definitely been an exercise in faith, trust and dependence on God. Meeting the grandparents of a friend’s boyfriend at a pool party my first week in Morocco, had led to a discussion about my future plans in Africa and an unexpected contact with a family there. Having exchanged several emails and text messages I had agreed to go and work with them in their ministry for one month. Excited and confident in the weeks leading up to my journey to Kenya, I soon found myself gripped by anxiety and fear as I realized I most certainly was crazy. I mean WHO takes a bus 10 hours to a country they have never been before, to a town that isn’t even located on a map to meet with a family they don’t even have a picture of to do who knows what for God?!?!? Clearly, Me. After a few moments of panic, my tension eased and I rested in the knowledge that God was in control.

Arriving in Webuye (a town so small you would miss it if you blinked), I tumbled off the bus and into the awaiting crowd of boda-boda drivers, all of whom were more then eager to help. I scanned the crowd hoping that the pastors I was coming to work with were actually there waiting for me and would recognize me (not a hard task since I was the only one getting off, the only American and the only white girl!). Thankfully both Eric and his wife Rose were there to meet me. Walking up to them at last, I was hit by a wave of relief and deep peace. There was something special about this family.

Living with Eric, Rose and their 8 children was a joy. I immediately felt at home and a part of their family. Continuing the work of his late father, Pastor Eric heads a large church in town, oversees numerous other churches, runs an orphanage in a neighboring town and has just begun a school for children in the more rural parts of the area. Visiting the orphanage, it was clear that the children there were loved and well cared for both by the local staff and supporters from the States. The children in greatest need were those at the school, so that is where I spent the majority of my time.

Teaching in a developing country is a very unique experience. A four room building housed 6 grades of children. No teaching supplies. Temporary wooden blackboards with holes in them. Desks built with unfinished and un-sanded wood. This was not America!

I loved every moment I was able to spend with the children though. Teaching every subject but KiSwahili, I spent most of my time teaching and loving on the kids at the school. Working with Pastor Eric and Rose, we were able to purchase curriculum for each of the teachers to teach from, paint new full size blackboards in each room and clean the classrooms. The school was been born from a beautiful vision to reach the poor children of the community with quality and affordable education, but as one of the staff working with the ministry stated, “the reality is still far from the vision.”

Please pray for the school, the kids and the teachers. They are currently understaffed, over budget and in need of new buildings so that they can continue to take in new children. On more then one occasion we were scrapping by to provide food for the children, even the simplest of meals, rice and beans were a challenge to come by some days. In a country overcome by corruption at every level of the government and where over 3 million people are facing possible starvation, there are hard times all around.

Personally, life in Webuye were some of the greatest and hardest moments of my trip thus far. Living with a family is wonderful and I truly have become more African then American in my tendencies, but at times the difficulties of life simply become too much. Staying in a cockroach infested room loses its charm quickly as well as going to the bathroom in a hole and bathing with a bucket. Having no control over what you eat, access to electricity and dealing with new health problems wears on you after a time. However, the hardest part was the realization that friends and family back home do not understand. Not that they should, having never been to these places, but for whatever reason the discovery that they truly do not comprehend what I was facing made me feel more alone then ever.

The four weeks in Webuye without internet or reliable electricity provided me with ample time to journal, read and think. Processing through a few more of experiences on this trip and how my view of the world and God is continuing to expand and grow, I was finally able to see a glimpse of what He has been doing in my life. I am always amazed when I see how all the different puzzles pieces of my life start to fall together and I catch a look at the greater vision for my life.

Teaching Sunday School for all the kids of the church each week was a wonderful and life changing experience, as I often found the words I spoke ministering more to me then to those I was teaching. On one particular Sunday I was sharing a story I have heard a thousand times over of Jesus calling His disciples and the sacrifice He asked from each one. To ask them to leave behind their families, friends, support networks, homes, jobs, EVERYTHING, to follow after Him. Trusting Him to be enough, believing that all of their needs would be met and provided for and that in trying times He would carry them through. It was in that moment that I realized in leaving the US nearly 9 months ago with no return ticket, no return date and no definite plans - I had done the same.

If I have learned one thing on this trip, it is the completeness of God’s faithfulness.

No comments: