Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Thursday

It’s 10:23AM on a Thursday, a school day. Glancing out my window I watch as three cows methodically make they way across the grassy outcrop behind the house. With sticks in hand 2 barefoot boys follow behind, prodding them forward as the sun grows ever hotter in the light blue skies. These children should be in school.

Everywhere I go now, I am quick to notice the children. The little ones with torn and faded clothing. Those walking barefoot on the rocky terrain for long distances. The ones whose skeletal frames cannot be hidden by the shapeless material that falls over their bruised skin. The street children who spend their days huffing glue and gasoline instead of learning within the classroom. The kids who have never known the comfort of a warm and loving home. These are the ones my heart breaks for the most.

No comments: