Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Salmonella

The irony of life never ceases to amaze me.  

Taking lunch with some fellow Americans recently, I realized how enculturated I had become. Justifiably concerned over consuming produce, unclean water and ill-prepared food, the talk around the table turned to what should and should not be taken. Surprised to discover that I eat everything without a hint of concern it was reasoned that I must have grown accustomed to the food overseas.

Without realizing it I had slowly thrown caution to the wind part in the name of cultural sensitivity and part for survival. Beginning in Morocco, I quickly adapted the “eat with a smile and a prayer” mentality that helps one survive most less then suitable eating situations. Visiting families, especially those who are less affluent, has created some very interesting eating scenarios.

Living with local families has also meant eating the native fair, even though it is clear special preparations are usually made for the mzungu (white person). In Kenya the staple foods are Ugali (maize flour mixed with boiling water and stirred until it reaches a stiff dough like consistency), greens (NOT lettuce or anything resembling it), rice, beans and meat (beef, chicken, fish – when available and finances allow). I have also stopped regularly purchasing bottled water and instead just boil and purify the local water. One on desperate occasion I also took water from the borehole (well) and thankfully am still alive and well. I have been blessed and surprised by the overall health I have been enjoying these past few months.

Last week, however, I began to get sick. Not thinking much of it, I treated my symptoms and continued on with life. Several days later I received an urgent email from a friend informing me to destroy the cliff bars that had been sent as they may contain salmonella. As it turned out, the food I held in my hands had indeed been recalled. Tracing back the days, it wasn’t long before I realized that my symptoms lined up perfectly with when I began eating the contaminated food, with strong indications that I may indeed have salmonella. With little to do but wait it out, I cannot keep myself from laughing at the thought that with all the concern over food, it was the American food that was causing problems and not the treacherous local cuisine. Who would have thought?!

No comments: