Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Carrying in Contraband!

Yes, I am guilty, guilty of carrying contraband into Rwanda (please don't report me.)

Arriving in Kigali, Rwanda on a small puddle-jumper flight, we made our way off the plane and into the cool night air. Walking across the tarmac and up to one of the cutest airports I had ever seen, Kati, Mbish and I made our way through the necessary immigration and customs channels. Finally making it to the baggage claim we waited for the small plane to unload before grabbing our bags. 

Having transformed this entire process into an art form, I already had my backpack out of its protective duffle, stowed the duffle in my bag and was carrying my 2 pairs of shoes in a leftover Target bag. Making my way through the terminal towards the door my journey came to an abrupt halt, one of the security officials was refusing to allow me entrance to the country because I was carrying in contraband. 

Forget drugs, weapons and all the usual suspects, my checkered red and white plastic bag was the cause of this altercation. Apparently in early 2006, the government of Rwanda decided to outlaw the use of all thin plastic bags. This ecological friendly decision has vastly improved the health of the city, but made for some unique obstacles. Bread goes stale a lot faster, tortilla chips don't stay as crisp, but I suppose it just forces us all to be a bit more creative.

No comments: