Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Why Do I Care?

Tonight in "Owning Poverty," our weekly team meeting, Julia wrapped up our discussion with the question, "Why do you care? Why are you here?" Initially the answer seems simple, but as I began to wrestle with it, an exponential number of questions poured forth from within.

So, Why Do I Care?

I care because I believe that every life is valuable.

Being born and raised in the US, I have been incredibly blessed. While my family is not wealthy by American standards, I have never been left wanting. I have always had a roof over my head, clean clothes to wear, food on the table, a family who loved me and a safe environment to grow and explore. However, as I have continued to gain in years and experience, I am left to grapple with the question of "Why Me?"

Why is it that I have been raised in wealth, while billions of other children over the years have been born into poverty? I am no different, no better, nor more deserving than any other. Yet I have been afforded every opportunity, providing me with the choice of what to do with my life, and the necessary resources to accomplish it all.

Recognizing the great disparity between us all, I care because I feel that every child should be given the basic necessities of life, and more then that, the opportunity to dream. To live with an undying hope that though there may be challenges along the way, they too can live out their full potential and make a difference in this world. Our origins and history shape and impact the person we will become, but do not define who we are. WE have all been called to greatness it is our choice how we will respond.

No comments: