Pages

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Making It Work

If you have ever seen the show Project Runway, then you are most likely familiar with Tim Gunn’s famous saying of “Make it Work.” Living in a foreign land, I often find myself operating under the same mindset. With a multitude of factors all extending far out of your control, you are simply left to make the best of the situation, whatever that might be.
Peering into the fridge each evening, I often begin each expedition with the same sentiments, Make it Work! Lacking one of those new state of the art table tops that produces receipes based upon the ingredients placed on it, I instead plop my option on the counter and say, “let’s see how this tastes.”
The entire Make it Work philosophy becomes even more apparent when I set out to bake in other countries. Lets just say I love to bake, and no amount of strange language, ingredients, or lack of materials will keep me from accomplishing my purposes. In addition to creating the patented staple, the Rice Krispy Treat, I also tend to become fairly adventurous in my baking overseas, continuously finding myself in situations where I am baking new treats for the first time. In Egypt last summer it was Banana Bread, this summer in Morocco it was No Bake Cookies (we didn’t have an oven!). Minus the heat the prevented the cookies from ever fully hardening, the chocolately-peanut butter treats turned out quite nicely.
Here’s to Making it Work!

No comments: