Pages

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Oops!

Goodbye manual labor,
Hello washing machine!

Or at least that is how simple it was all supposed to be. I have sense reconsidered my position on the issue and now feel that handwashing might just be the way to go. Alas, after over two months on nothing but handwashing, I decided to wash all my clothes in the machine before leaving Morocco to ensure that I headed off to Uganda with wonderfully clean clothes.

Consulting with my flatmates via telephone as to which buttons to push, I tossed in my clothes and measured in the detergent. Shutting the door and walking away all seemed well…

Returning hours later (yes, it takes that long!), I pulled out my clothes in horror, as all my white clothes has been turned into a shade of off color gray! Apparently one of the other shirts in the load hadn’t been washed before and bled all over everything else! I blame the French! It was a French speaking washing machine and I had no idea what all the words by the dials meant. After treating my ‘white’ clothes with every type of bleaching agent in the house, they regained some of their brightness, but are certainly anything but white.

I have decided to stick to handwashing, it is simply safer!

No comments: