Pages

Monday, August 25, 2008

Weak & Weary

Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from ME, for I am gently and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOU SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
- Matthew 11:28-30

Throughout these three months abroad, I have certainly learned what it means to be completely weak and weary. This evening I unexpectedly went through it again, as an overwhelming wave of saddness struck. Holding it in, I struggled to understand what was happening to me. Seeking comfort I called my mom who knowingly nailed the problem on the head. As exciting as my romp through the Middle East had been, I was culturally exhausted. The continually adjustment to new people, places and customs had taken its toll and I was shutting down. Longing for friends, I lacked the energy to begin the process of friendship all over all again.

Ever critical of myself, I saw this emotional outburst as a sign of weakness. Operating under survival mode, I had to remain strong at all costs, even if that meant suppressing all that was actually going on. Giving myself permission to go through this process is a challenge, but I know it is the only healthy way. Talking, praying and crying my way through this evening I began to process what was transpiring, allowing me to give words and justification for all I was encountering.

Tonight I saw the undeniable evidence of God at work in my life, as within moment the prayer mom mom had prayed over me was answered unknowingly by a girl on my team. Coming in to talk, we instantly bonded over shared experiences. I know God has placed her in my life for this season and I could not have asked for a better friend.

After an unfathomable drought I finally feel God's presence again and His joy returning to my life.

May today their be peace within. May you trust God that you are exactly where you are meant to be. May you not forget the infinite possibilities that are born of faith. May you use those gifts that you have received, and pass on the love that has been given to you.

May you be confident knowing you are a child of God. Let this presence settle into your bones, and allow your soul the freedom to sing, dance, praise and love.
-Mother Theresa

No comments: