Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Returning Home

After being away for six years, arriving in Uganda feels as though I have come home, yet not quite. In some ways it is as though a circle has been made complete with this return to East Africa. The feeling of comfort away from home remains, with the closest description I can find is likened to that of a Narnia experience. Slipping between two worlds, that are so far removed, yet intrinsically connected.

In many ways I think all this traveling in such a short amount of time has forced me to adjust in a rather mechanical fashion. Or perhaps it is an extremely fluid motion. Either way, I seem to have shifted into this mode of figure out the area, learn the unspoken social rules, adapt now!

It's almost as though being in Africa has become kind of this "ho-hum" experience. A sarcastic, "What, you mean you don't have monkey's living in your backyard?" is nearly audible from my lips. Dodging cars to the cross the street, dirt and gravel roads, church services that last all morning and crazy taxis are simply a part of life. It has all become so matter of fact.

Where has my wonder gone?

No comments: