Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Finding Fred

Some enjoy the companionship of soft, furry creatures that play fetch, come when they are called, and follow you endearingly around the house. Then there are those who prefer another variety. Those of the Blattaria family, who vary in size, are relatively smooth and scatter when illuminated. We, needing to be different, obviously chose the latter. Thereby welcoming into our humble abode Fred, our resident cockroach.

I first met Fred Tuesday morning after accidently disturbing his hiding spot underneath the large red bucket in the squatty, which I needed to use for laundry (the bucket, not the squatty). Upon our first encounter we both froze (possibly shrieked) and then went in for a closer look. Or rather I may have done that before running upstairs to find my camera. Alas, when I returned Fred was gone (Yes, I named him Fred too), apparently having retreated into some corner of the room. I thought about Fred all day and looked for him again that evening, but tragically Fred had vanished!

Wondering if I would ever see my little friend Fred again, I finished out my day and retreated to the balcony for some quiet reflection. (No, Fred was not on the balcony!) However, after some time my parched throat forced me back inside, down the stairs, through the darkness and into the kitchen. Flipping on the light switch I was horrified at what my eyes beheld... dirty dirty dishes were everywhere! Absolutely tragic (especially since I needed a cup). Heading over to select one to wash and reuse, I discovered Fred! There he was peaking out of one of the cups I was just about to grab. Repeating our earlier morning ritual I greeted him once again. Then, not wanting to let the opportunity slip by, I dashed up the stairs to grab my camera and proceeded to follow him paparazzi style across the countertop. Fred was playing coy, but I managed to catch a glimpse of him before he slipped behind the rest of the dishes.

In the morning though Fred was gone again.. he seems to be more of a night creature, taking advantage of the unoccupied living quarters downstairs during the waning hours of the evening and the wee hours of the morning. Hopefully Fred and I will meet again, it's kind of nice to have another roommate, even if he is a tad unusual. Life is all about making unexpected friends, right?