Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Swimmin'

Today is Wednesday, and you all know what that mean! It’s Faith’s birthday! Ah yes, my dear friend Faith, whom I am known for all of 4 days and first encountered at her family birthday last Saturday. All I have to say is that it’s a good thing people in foreign countries are so quick to welcome you into their homes and lives!
Even though they celebrated her birthday on Saturday, her actual birthday is today (I think), so we were all invited to join her and her family and a close friend (perhaps boyfriend?) for a day at the pool. Having no idea of what I was getting myself into and not exactly being thrilled at the idea of wearing a bathingsuit in a country where a large majority of people remain completely covered from head to toe, I cautiously embarked on this latest adventure.
Pulling into the dirt lot and parking under one of the only trees in the vicinity, I was less then impressed by the building before us. Actually, I must admit that I paid little attention to the structure itself, instead focusing more on the good sized group of teens gathered around the front entrance. As we made are way to the front, the group stepped back and we entered easily into what quickly revealed itself as more than a pool. It was indeed a waterpark of sorts with two large pool areas, pool tables (billiards), a playground, snack stands and what seemed to be much more. It was certainly a pleasant surprise. Additionally, the two pool areas carried with them two distinctions. There was one pool for the teenage boys, which first annoyed me that the girls were seemingly being segregated against, and another pool for families. My quick, and albeit harsh, judgment rapidly resided as I realized the benefits of being removed from the pesky group. Without all the interruptions, stares and rowdiness, we were able to enjoy a fun and pleasant afternoon at the pool and lounging in the sun.
However, being separated did not completely save us from the spotlight. While sitting on our towels by the pool, my roommate and I were approached by two Moroccan girls who asked if they could take their picture with us. Shocked and slightly confused we agreed to their request. Feeling a bit like a celebrity we posed with the girls for a series of pictures (which I refuse to post due to my extreme whiteness!). I have a serious feeling that the main reason they wanted pictures with us was because we were so white, but nonetheless it made for an interesting day and stories all around.
I am slowly working on my tan.

No comments: