Pages

Friday, June 13, 2008

Was andek Lma?

Pronounced (wash an-deck l’ma), it means: Do you have water? It is Friday morning, school starts in a half an hour and we are completely out of water. Knowing that there is no way I can sit through 4 hours of school without proper hydration, I muster up enough courage to walk to our local hanute.
Tired, nervous and sick, I fumble through the Arabic phrases I learned while walking out the front door. The kind child behind the counter looks at me questioningly. Instantly becoming insecure I decide to bag the proper Arabic I had been rehearsing on the walk over, instead reverting to pointing, gestures and single word statements. By some miracle the message gets across and the little clerk scampers up the ladder, gingerly makes his way across the refrigeration cabinets, returning with a six pack of large water bottles. I somehow manage to ask the cost, but don’t understand the answer. Rummaging through my wallet I retrieve a bill which I pray will cover it, all the while trusting that they will give me proper change.
When all is said and done (much of which I didn’t actually comprehend) I emerged triumphant from the hanute with my 'bucket' of water and a new sense of accomplishment.

No comments: