Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Taste of Home

That's right! You may be able to the girl out of Seattle, but you will never be able to take Seattle out of the girl! Traveling in and out of distant unfamiliar lands is certainly exotic and exciting, but it can also be exhausting and draining. Surrounded by people who stare and point at you, speak to you with unfamiliar words and seem to judge your every move loses its charm fairly quickly. Therefore it is necessary every once in a while to escape to the familiar, the warm and comforting.

It never ceases to amaze me that restaurants I rarely visit and foods I detest to eat in the States suddenly become little treasures here. Places like McDonalds with their Daim McFlurries and an assortment of American style food products from the grocery store.

And then there is the crowning jewel of American exports, the cool refreshing king of iced beverages and tasty snacks (ok, I am exaggerating a bit). Off in the distance through the hustle and bustle of the International sector of the Istanbul the green circle glows from the end of the terminal calling you to come. Yes, the beautiful green white and black blur is none other than STARBUCKS!!!! What joy, what happiness, what bliss! Taking in the sight I was all smiles and overwhelmed with excitement. I really didn't even care what I got, just that it was Starbucks. Ordering quickly I instantly gave way to my unusual background, as they didn't understand what I said and then inquired to where I was from. The reply of USA and Seattle received the all knowing nod of understanding as we locals are known the world over for our insanely rapid fire complex orders. Once the conversation was straightened out I then became a point of amusement for the employees, punctuated by my numerous trips back to the counter for several cups of ice! Sipping down a cool frappachino (something I haven't had in well over a year) all of life was simple and good, positively refreshing!

No comments: