Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

A Most Successful Day!

We arrived home from Turkey well after two this morning and my roommates immediately engaged in a cockroach smashing party (yes, I believe Fred is dead!). Shortly thereafter we had also passed out from an exhausting day of travel. Regaining consciousness this morning I made my way downstairs to check out the pitiful contents of our frig. With nothing to eat and no dirhams (local currency) in my wallet, I set out to run some errands.

The first stop was the bank, which thankfully worked! Then I decided to go for a walk before stopping at the bread shop. My walk became more of a trek as I decided to meander in and out of streets simply enjoying the freedom of being outside. Without intending it, I found myself near the grocery store by Emily's house so I stopped in mainly for the air-conditioning and picked up a water from there. After that it was a nice leisurely stroll down part of Hussan II Blvd, where I happened to notice the temperature. Walking down Hussan II it was a mere 36'C about fifteen minutes later it was a blistering 37'C. However, I am happy to report that I think I am starting to get used to this weather, I didn't sweat nearly as much as I would have before Turkey! Anyways, once I had wound my way through a good portion of unnecessary streets on purpose, I finally decided it was time to go to the bread store.

I greeted and order in Arabic and the cashier understood me!!! I purchased my round of bread and two petit pans (little breads - similar to croissants), simply lovely! Next it was off to the fruit market where I saw our produce guy (yes, we have a produce guy!) who was fingering a beautiful selection of grapes. With incredible horrid Arabic grammar on my part and a very gracious spirit on his I was able to purchase a small bunch of green grapes and 3 nectarines! Beginning to swelter in the heat, I decided that one other stop was in order... popsicles from the hanute. Hanutes are little corner stores that carry a seemingly random assortment of anything you could need on a daily basis. Generally visited for attaining water and candy, it has now become a local popsicle hotspot. With a mix of Arabic, French and English I was successful and now get to relax and enjoy the fruits of my labor!

No comments: