Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Arabic Amusement

Monday I began a new session at school, Salam I.  Essentially a month long intensive class that is supposed to help you develop your understanding, comprehension and pronunciation of Arabic.  It has been interesting, overwhelming and confusing.  Not content with the normal route, I get the added adventure of a third language.  Joining me for class each day is a fun couple from Argentina who primarily speak Spanish.  I am actually quite happy to report that my Espanol is receiving a much needed workout.  However, what it means for class each day is that about 75% of the communication is conducted in Arabic, 20% in Spanish and a measely 5% in English.  It is no wonder my English language skills are rapidly declining!  All of this makes for a serious growing experience and as my mentor succinctly stated, 
You haven't really learned Arabic until you have Cried!

I will admit that on Monday I came seriously close to breaking down in class, but thankfully I managed to hold it together.  This was of course before the previous pearls of wisdom were tossed my way otherwise I may have been half tempted to let out a tear.  Then at least I could say I have really learned Arabic!  

Overall the class has been going fairly well.  Learning to read and write backwards with a new alphabet is interesting, not to mention dealing with sounds that are not present in the english language, like the flem sound that accompanies some H's.  I finally have that one down, but still have problems with one of the other H's and rolling my R's.  My teachers keep telling me it will come with time and practice, I am not so confident.

Working through the booklets in class there are times that I cannot help but laugh.  Learning such helpful phrases like "Hello, how are you?" "My name is ______. What is your name?" and the always useful, "and this is my husband."  Comical at first it seems that nearly every practice conversation in the books involves a married couple, so I have had to create an imaginary husband, given him a profession and a hometown.  Now if I could only get through a conversation in class without cracking up!  The teacher isn't helping any either laughing when we get to those parts knowing full well that I am very single.  Glad I can lighten the mood for everyone!  Now if only I could understand half of what we were learning...

No comments: