Pages

Thursday, July 3, 2008

A New Name

note to readers: post originally from June 16th - yes, i am a little behind with my postings!

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet." - William Shakespeare

The importance of a name can vary from person to person and culture to culture.  Here in the Middle East and more specifically Morocco, ones name seems to be of the utmost importance.  Your surname (last name) can indicate your prestige, area of origin, and your family's reputation/connections.  As one highschooler shared with me, in some areas/families when a young person becomes interested in dating someone the mother's first question is always for their last name, so that they can determine the suitability and worthiness of the match.  


So far in Morocco everyone I have asked has known the meaning of their name.  I find it both fascinating and incredible that each is aware of the deep history and roots from which they come and are often very eager to share this knowledge with you.  A bit embarrassed that I don't know the full meaning of my own name, I have been reluctant to share. 

Today though, I became Moroccan when a new friend gave me the greatest gift I have received since arriving, a new name.  Jamila.  In Arabic it means "beautiful" and I was a bit shocked to receive such a gift and such a name.  I actually view the whole moment as quite ironic as I would say the young lady who gave me the name is far more beautiful than myself, but apparently she didn't see it that way.  Regardless it was an honor and certainly a defining moment of the trip thus far.

No comments: