Pages

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Saying Goodbye

Embarking on this adventure across the world I knew that I was saying goodbye to the stability of home and exchanging it for the transience of nomadic living. However, what I never really planned on was how many goodbyes my new lifestyle would entail.  

Traveling through an area you can’t help but meet people. In fact, meeting new people and the sharing of lives is what makes traveling such a wondrous adventure. Yet after a matter or minutes, hours, days or weeks you must inevitably bid farewall to your new found friends, forging ahead to new places and into new lives.  

Living, on the other hand, in one new location, you begin to make a home. Discovering favorite food stops, the best places to shop, learning to get around and establishing friendships. Having the opportunity to live life daily with people you cannot help but bond. Then, when the time to let go suddenly comes all to soon you are left with no choice but to say goodbye.
With each adeau little pieces of your new world fall away.  

The past two weeks I have had to say goodbye to my roommates, new friends, and my best friend here in Morocco. Looking ahead, I know it is just the start of the farewell’s and it gives me a new appreciation for all those who call a foreign country home.  

Living a life where change is the only constant can be a rough reality, I am not sure if I will ever get used to it, and I don’t think I want to.

1 comment:

David said...

believe you me, you will forever have one particular (over protective) little brother who loves you dearly. in a world of changing constants, there's always a few invariants.
;)