Pages

Saturday, July 12, 2008

A Lovely Night

Tonight I had the best evening walk yet.  Not only had the temperature cooled off today making the entire day more pleasant, but there was also a lovely light cool breeze blowing.  Having drastically cut back on my afternoon/evening walks the longer I have been here mainly because I have grown tired of the staring, pointing and catcalls, I decided to give it another try.  Taking a deep breath and saying a prayer as I stepped up onto the main street I walked forward in confidence.  Trying to relax and enjoy simply being outside, I allowed myself to slow down and carefully take in more sites.  Walking into every women's clothing store on the street for the first time I gingerly made my way down the street across traffic and into my favorite store.  

Getting to that store was actually my entire goal. Via Seta! Nicole and I each bought a shirt from there the other day and they are definitely more of a high end retailer.  I have begun to build a relationship with one of the girls who works there who actually remembered my name, even though I can't for the life of me remember how to pronounce hers.  So helpful and kind she asked if I needed anything, I told her that I was just looking, lingering a while as I contemplated the walk home.  

Departing the store, I made a sport a visiting every store where women were present.  Looking, admiring, soaking up the life I was loving it.  Noticing a large group of women heading down the stairs to a glittering store of glass, I followed suit, discovering what I now hold to be my greatest find on "Happiness".  Yes, the english translation of the major street we live near is Happiness.  Down the stairs and around the corner was a jam packed walkway lined with stores carrying everything a girl could need.  Surely annoying a few salesmen, I touched everything and bought nothing.  I also seemed to surprise a few people, we don't exactly live in a big tourist area, so we are still a bit of an oddity.  

Walking out I was feeling great and appreciating being out and unbothered.  Passing our chicken place I stopped for an icecream, juz boule (two scoops) for s'ta dirhams (6dh = $.83!).  It was lovely!  A wonderful end to a relatively uneventful day.

No comments: