Pages

Friday, July 4, 2008

Burgers, Beer & Belly Dancing?

Before I get myself into trouble, I did not partake in any of it!!!  

This 4th of July I was supposed to be enjoying a relaxing evening at the beach in Tanger (for you english speakers - Tangier), but that fell through when some unexpected drama occurred.  Welcome to Morocco!  where plans change every second and nothing is for sure.  

Instead, I was invited to join up with some fellow Americans for a BBQ a la' Moroccan style.  Set to kick off between 6 and 7, we arrived at 7pm.  Yes, take note, I was LATE to an event!  However, we still managed to be the first guests there!  Welcome to Morocco!  where time runs on a very different and relaxed schedule.  We hung out and spent time getting to know each other, since 4 of the guests had just arrived in the country early that morning.  

As the night wore on, it looked exactly like your typical American BBQ with burgers cooking away on the grill, an assortment of drinks in peoples hands (I had water and sprite!) and music wafting through the terrace.  Throughout the evening I had to keep reminding myself that I wasn't in the States, but in a foreign land.  The food was excellent with enough burgers, hot dogs, and chicken to feed a small army!  Oh, and they had the best spicy grilling sauce on the chicken, delish!  For dessert we had plates full of ice cold watermelon, incredibly sweet and refreshing!  

After dinner the lively conversations continued as we all swapped stories of our adventures in Morocco, strange situations we encountered and tips we had picked up along the way.  We also spent quite a while talking about dancing, but sadly no dancing actually materialized.  However, on a side note, the girls here in Morocco certainly know how to dance!!!  At a pool party a while ago some of them were trying to teach my friend and I how to move... we didn't do so well.  

No comments: