Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Sbah l-hir Fes

Good Morning Fes!

Each day I discover something new about this city.  Yesterday my friend Emily and I were actually remarking about the fact that the longer we are here, the less we realize that we know.  This morning was no different.  

Waking up at 5am, I hit the ground running extra early this morning to meet up with Jennifer, another American who has recently arrived in Fes for a month long stay.  Planning to meet up at 6am near her apartment I left my place at 5:30ish just to make sure I was there on time.  With a posted sunrise at 5:17am I was surprised to find it dark when I stepped outside.  Not thinking much of it, I was off and making my way through my neighborhood, across the unusually empty main drag that separates us from the next section of town.  The street was lit and the sky was just starting to lighten when the lights went out.  A bit stunned, I watched as all the street lamps went dull.  Apparently just after 5:30 they shut off, good to know.  

Continuing on I made my way down the barren streets to the artistically cultivated boulevard where I was meeting up with Jenn.  I had never seen the streets so quiet and calm, it was almost like I was living in an entirely different city.  As we ran I watched as the city began to wake up and life filled the air.  City workers were out sweeping streets, cafe's were setting out chairs and a few fellow runners were enjoying the last moments of peace of the day.  It was marvelous.  

Returning home I was exhausted, but refreshed.  I am always in awe how a good run can complete wipe you and out recharge you at the same time.  Now it is time for a shower, breakfast and some quiet reading on my balcony! 

No comments: