Pages

Sunday, July 27, 2008

BBall

Futbol is the sport of the world, and as much as I admire those who excel at it, I simply do not have the skills.  

In Morocco the situation is no different as I daily pass by fields of kids playing futbol (soccer) wherever they can find a surface to play on. Wishing to join in but knowing I can’t, I press on, longing for sports and more ways to be active. My first weekend in Fes I participated in a Futbol game of adults verses youth at the church, which was a blast, but I don’t know how much I actually contributed to the team…

Spending an evening with friends at the Pharmacie Club, some kids were starting up a game of basketball. Seeing how antsy I was, my friend asked if I wanted to join them. Not knowing if it would be culturally appropriate, I said I was interested, but wasn’t sure if it was ok. They said it was fine and asked the other guys I could join them. They all agreed and I joined in. I had a blast, even though it was obvious the guys I was playing with weren’t used to having a girl in the game, and especially not one who didn’t back down. It felt so freeing (not quite as great as dancing, but probably the next closest thing!)

No comments: